Generally, this error occurs when you try to synchronize an offline address book. Often, if you try to download an OAB file, then you might face this similar error. The corrupted Offline Storage Table files are the main leads due to which this error can arise.
Furthermore, if the Outlook profile is corrupted or the configuration is incorrect, then you might come across this error. Sometimes, if you change the OST file’s location on your machine then this can lead to Outlook error.
If you copy an old OST file after upgrading, then you might encounter this error. This error will further prevent you from sending or receiving an email message. Thus, if you are facing the “Outlook data file cannot be accessed” error message, then go through the steps that are mentioned below.
How to Fix “We Couldn’t Create the Outlook Data File” Error Message?
Use these easy methods to fix this error permanently. After applying these instructions, you will not notice that the Outlook error is resolved permanently.
Solution 1: Create a New Outlook Profile
Because of the corrupted Outlook profile, you might come across the Outlook error 0x8004010f. To fix this error, you need to create a new Outlook profile.
To do that, make sure you know the current location of your default Outlook data file.
Step 1: Open the Default Outlook Data File
- Open the Control Panel click on the Mail and go to the ‘Mail Setup -Outlook’ dialog box and click on the “Show Profiles”.
- Next, click on the current Outlook profile and follow the Properties option.
- Navigate to the “Mail Setup -Outlook” and then click on the “Data Files”.
- After opening the “Account Settings” box, click on the Data Files tab. This will help you to locate the name and the location of the default Outlook profile.
- You will find the default profile is marked. Then, make sure to close and exit the window.
Step 2: Create a New Outlook Profile
To fix this error, you need to create a new Outlook Profile and here are the 2 alternatives you can implement:
Auto-Setup IMAP or POP3 Email Account
- At first, you need to open the Control Panel.
- After opening the ‘Mail Setup -Outlook’ dialog box, click on the ‘Show Profiles’ option.
- Now, make sure to select your current Outlook profile and then select “Add”.
- Head over to the New Profile dialog box to enter a new profile name and then click on OK.
- After opening the ‘Add New Account’ dialog box, type your complete email information and then click on the Next option.
- When the configuration is completed successfully, don’t forget to click on the Finish.
Create IMAP or POP3 Email Account Manually
If you want to create an IMAP or POP3 Email Account manually, then go through the following points:
- Initially, the Control Panel needs to open. After opening the ‘Mail Setup -Outlook’ dialog box, click on the “Show Profiles” option.
- After selecting the current Outlook profile, click on the Add option. Head over to the New Profile dialog box to enter a name for the New profile. Then, make sure to click on the OK.
- When the “Add New Account” dialog box opens, tap on the “Manually configure server settings”.
- You can even select the “Additional Server Types” option and then click on Next. After opening the “Internet E-mail Settings” dialog box, enter your account details.
- Navigate to the “Existing Outlook Data File” to click on the Browse. From the ‘Open Outlook Data Files dialog box, find and select the Outlook data file.
- Now, click on the OK followed the Next. Finally, click on the Close and then select the Finish option.
Step 3: Configure the New Outlook Profile as the Default Profile
Now, make sure to configure the new Outlook profile as the default profile. To do that, go through the steps that are mentioned below.
- Make sure to open the Control Panel.
- From the ‘Mail Setup -Outlook’ dialog box, click on the Show Profiles option.
- Now, select the “Always use this profile”.
- Navigate to the drop-down menu to select the new profile.
- In the end, click on the OK option.
Solution 2: If Creating a New Outlook Profile Is Not Possible
Sometimes, if you have multiple access to email accounts in the Outlook, then it is not possible for you to create a new Outlook profile.
In such a case, you need to go through the steps mentioned hereunder.
- Navigate to the Outlook click File to click on the Account Settings option. Again, click on the Account Settings.
- Click on the Change Folder to enlarge it. Click on the + sign in order to enlarge it.
- After that, create a new temporary folder. To do that, go to the Inbox to click on the New Folder option.
- After providing a new name, click on the OK.
- Now, make sure that you have selected that folder you just made and then click on the OK. In the new folder, you will be able to see the delivery location.
- Next, check whether you change the temporary folder back to the original location or not. If not, click on the Change Folder again.
- After that go to the Inbox to click on the OK.
- Finally, the Account Settings need to be closed and then click on the “Send or receive” option as per your choice.
Hopefully, with the help of the above solutions, you will be able to fix the “Outlook data file can not be accessed” error without any hassle.
Frequently Asked Questions
* How to repair a corrupted PST file?
If you want to repair a corrupted PST file, then go through the steps that are mentioned below.
- First, open the Run command. For that, press the Windows key and R at the same time on the keyboard. Then, click on the OK button.
- Now, open the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair experience. For that, double-click on the SCANPST.EXE file.
- Click on the Browse button to open the .pst file that you like to repair.
- Then, click on the Open button and next to the Start button.
- Now, check the “make a backup of scanned file before repairing” option and then select the Repair button.
* How to repair Outlook?
Here are the steps that you need to follow to repair the Outlook.
- After opening the Control Panel, select the “Add or Remove Programs”.
- Thereafter, go to the Microsoft Office or Outlook and then click on Change.
- After selecting the Reinstall or Repair button, click on the Next option.
- Next, select the “Detect and Repair” and then click on Install.
- If the repair tool provides any prompts, then follow them accordingly.