Gmail is one of the common email service providers available in the market. Nowadays, people who don’t have a Gmail account is very rare to find. However, there are some of the frustrating issues as well to its users, Gmail not working is one of them. If this is the error you are facing, then hopefully you will be able to resolve it with the methods which are explained in this article. So, without wasting time, you can proceed to these below sections to learn the methods along with complete steps.
Gmail not Working Associated Problems
If Gmail stops to work suddenly, then there are various difficulties which the user suffers and are as follows.
- Email sending and receiving problems
- Gmail previous loaded messages cannot be opened
- Time secured message transferred service issue
Reasons behind Gmail not Working
There are several factors which affect Gmail and even can stop its services are as follows:
Stop internet services for Gmail: If you ever make modifications with the settings of your Android device, a problem can occur. You might unknowingly turn off the internet services for Gmail. This is a common problem that many users encounter.
Outdated Gmail: If Gmail application is outdated, then this stops many of its function and can even completely stop working. And in this case, only by updating the Gmail account, the problem will get resolved. After that, you will be able to use your Gmail account with all its functions without a problem.
Lack of Storage: Presence of unnecessary cache and data files can be also responsible for the Gmail stop working glitch.
Changes of Gmail Preferences: If you have ever done some changes with Gmail preferences, then you might face this problem. If this is the case, then by resetting the Gmail Preferences this issue will get resolved.
Gmail application gets corrupted: Corrupt Gmail application is a very rare issue. However, if this is the case for Gmail not working problem, then the only way to resolve it is you need to uninstall and reinstall the Gmail application.
If you are searching for these complete solving methods of Gmail not working issue, then continue with the below sections of this article.
Solutions for Gmail not Working on Android
The methods to solve Gmail stop working in Android devices are quite easy. And you can even be able to proceed with these methods by following the below instructions. So, check it out.
Method 1: Turn on the Internet Services for Gmail Account (Verify)
This is the basic method which you need to verify to get rid of this Gmail application problem. And the steps to do this are as follows.
- At first, go to the Settings (commonly the gear like icon) from your Android device. After that, from the available options under this Settings screen, search for “Data usage” and click on it.
- Then, from this Data usage screen tap on the “System apps” option, under which search for Gmail and click on it.
- After following these above steps, visit the Gmail data usage status page. Here, ensure that both the mobile data, Wi-Fi, and Background bata sections are active.
- Now, try to use your Gmail account to check if this problem gets resolved. And still, if this problem exists, then continue with these further methods.
Method 2: Update the Gmail Application
If this above method fails to solve the Gmail application not working problem, then you can try this one. This is also very easy to perform, so, let us begin.
- To begin with, at first, tap on the Play Store icon. Then, on the top-left side, you will see three horizontal parallel lines. Click on it and this will open a menu panel on the screen. From this left-hand side opening menu panel, tap on “My Apps & Games”.
- After that, wait until My Apps & Games window loads completely. On this window, you will see all your installed apps, from which, search for Gmail. Then, tap on the “Update” box which you will see beside to Gmail. Next, wait until the Gmail updating process is over. The time taken to complete the process depends upon the internet speed of your device.
- As the Gmail application updates, for the second time check if this method works to fix the glitch. And if not, nothing to worry. This is not the last method to solve the Gmail not working problem.
Method 3: Clear Data and Cache memory
After applying these above two methods if you are not able to use your Gmail application, then hopefully, this method will work. And the steps to follow to clear the data and cache files of your Gmail application are as follows:
First of all, open the Settings section of your Android device. Then, from the available sections of this window, navigate to App Settings. And under this App Settings section, visit the Installed Apps option and tap on it. Now, scroll down the screen and reach the Gmail option, and click on it.
After that, from this Gmail window, tap on Storage, and then click on Clear data. In some Android device, you might find both “CLEAR DATA” and “CLEAR CACHE” options. If this is the case, then tap both these (CLEAR DATA, CLEAR CACHE) options individually.
As you click on the Clear Data option, a notification window will appear. Click on OK to proceed. After completing this task, again check if you are able to use your Gmail account.
Note: Data and Cache removing process will not affect the email contents of your Gmail account.
Method 4: Set Gmail Preferences to Default
By setting the Gmail Preferences to Default, you can get rid off from the Gmail application stops to work problem. And the steps to allow for doing this is a little tricky.
To begin with, at first, tap on the Settings icon from your Android device menu screen. Then, select the Installed apps option which is present beneath the App Settings section. After that, look at the right-hand side of the top-most portion of the screen. You will visit three dots vertically placed, click on it. Now, from this menu list, click on the “Reset App Preferences” option and do it for Gmail. After doing this, you will find that the “Gmail not working” problem gets resolved.
Method 5: Uninstall the Gmail Application Updates
If these above methods do not resolve the Gmail application not working problem then, possibly it is due to the corrupt Gmail application. If this is the case, then you need to go for this time-consuming method to fix the problem.
This will be a little risky process yet the most effective method to solve the gmail app not working problem. To do this, again open the Settings icon and then go to the Installed Apps section. After that, navigate to Gmail and tap on it. Next, Under this Gmail Settings window, you will visit the “Uninstall Updates” option, click on it. Then, wait until this process gets completed. Now, you will be able to access Gmail without further difficulty.
- A slow internet connection can also affect the Gmail services and responsible for such issue. So, at first, check the internet connection.
- Sluggish Android device can also be responsible for this glitch. And if this is the case, then restart your device. Then, open the Gmail application and sent an email to your friend to check if it works.
All these are the methods which help you to fix the Gmail not working problem effectively. For further assistance, you can drop a mail.