When you are trying to configure your Gmail account in Outlook, you may encounter the “Outlook won’t connect to Gmail” problem on the screen.
This problem mainly appears if Gmail settings are incorrect. Apart from that, disable the IMAP, turn off the basic authentication can also lead to this error.
Solutions for Outlook Won’t Connect to Gmail Issue
Below we have listed four effective solutions to fix the “Outlook not connecting to Gmail” issue on the device.
Solution 1 – Turn On IMAP
If the IMAP (Internet Messaging Access Protocol) is turned off, then you can come across the “Outlook cannot connect to Gmail” problem on the system. Therefore, you should enable it by following these directions:
- Open your Gmail account.
- Next, click on the cog icon which is located at the top-right corner.
- Select the Settings option.
- From the Settings window, navigate to the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- On this tab, select the Enable IMAP button to turn it on. After doing this, click on the Save Changes option to save it.
Solution 2 – Allow the Less Secure Apps feature
A problem with the security settings can return the “Outlook not connecting to Gmail server” issue on your computer. So, you need to allow less secure apps feature from the device. Here, are the steps to allow the less secure apps feature:
- Launch your Gmail account and click on your profile picture at the top right corner.
- Click on the My Account option.
- Go to the Sign-in & security and select the Connected apps & sites section.
- In that section, find the “Allow less secure apps” option. Once, you get “Allow less secure apps”, enable the feature.
- Finally, click on the “Save Changes” option to save the changes.
Hopefully, now you are able to connect Outlook to your Gmail.
Solution 3 – Create an App Password
You need to create an app password, you should use it to log in to Gmail from Outlook. Go through these steps:
- Open your Google account and navigate to the Sign-in & security section.
- In the Sign-in & security section, find the App passwords and click on it.
- Give your Gmail account password
- Select Outlook from the drop-down menu list.
- Click on the Generate button.
- Now you will see the 16-digit password to access your Gmail from Outlook.
Solution 4 – Connect the Gmail to Outlook
Now you need to add the Gmail account to Outlook. To do that, follow the steps hereunder:
- Launch the Outlook application.
- From the Outlook window, click on the File tab.
- Select the “Add Account” option.
- Further, navigate to “Manual setup or additional server types”> Next.
- Then, click on “POP or IMAP” and then choose Next.
- Enter all the required details which include the user, server, and log on information.
- Find “Test Account Settings …” and mark on the box next to it and then click on Next.
- After that, click on “More Settings”. Now the Internet Email Settings box will display on the screen.
- On that window, navigate to the Outgoing Server. Under this section, and mark on the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” option.
- Select the “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” option.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab and set up the Incoming server (IMAP) to 993.
- As well you need to set the Outgoing server (SMTP) to 465.
- Select the SSL as an encrypted connection and then click on the OK option to save it.